Katelyn Mulcahy/Getty Images
- Sports wagering platform DraftKings stock sank as much as 12.8%on Monday after a coronavirus break out in the Miami Marlins baseball group postponed some Major League Baseball games.
- The MLB was the very first major US sports league to resume activity when its season began on Thursday.
- The league delayed a game in between the Marlins and the Baltimore Orioles after The Athletic reported four Marlins gamers participated in a Sunday game after evaluating favorable for COVID-19
- A game in between the New York Yankees and the Philadelphia Phillies– the Marlins’ Sunday opponent– was also delayed.
- Watch DraftKings trade live here
Shares of sports gambling platform DraftKings tanked as much as 12.8%on Monday after a brand-new coronavirus outbreak led Big league Baseball to delay two video games.
The 2020 MLB season is amongst the couple of sports calendars fairly intact amidst the coronavirus pandemic. Games began on Thursday after hold-ups associated with screening and carrying out strict security steps for players and staff.
Yet the season might end just days after beginning after the Miami Marlins played a video game on Sunday despite four gamers evaluating favorable for COVID-19, according to The Athletic. The league has because canceled the Marlin’s Monday game versus the Baltimore Orioles. Monday’s video game between the New York Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies, who played the Marlins on Sunday, was also delayed.
” The members of the Marlins’ traveling party are self-quarantining in place while waiting for the outcomes of those results,” MLB said in a statement.
The delays present a major risk for DraftKings and its expect a sports-betting revival. The company went public in late April through a $3.3 billion merger with special-purpose acquisition company Diamond Eagle, well before any major United States sports leagues resumed activity. Yet shares more than doubled in the months following as investors bank on economic reopenings and containment of the infection to revive sports and related betting companies.
” While our organisation in the short-term is partially reliant on the sports calendar, we have actually always stated we are playing the long game and will continue our concentrate on driving a technology very first approach to item innovation in order to keep sports fans engaged,” a DraftKings spokesperson told Service Insider.
Even if major sports are postponed even more, the business has actually revealed it can pivot to other betting ventures. Entries on the company’s dream esports contests skyrocketed 50- fold in March as consumers began to brace for months without sports. DraftKings also enabled users to wager on virtual matches happening in popular video games consisting of Madden NFL..
DraftKings traded at $3474 per share since 12: 40 p.m. ET Monday.
Now learn more markets protection from Markets Expert and Business Insider:
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe