Archaeology Temples in Mysuru palace are getting a facelift

491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS

Archaeology

Archaeology Sri Bhuvaneshwari temple is one of the six temples being repaired in the palace complex.

Sri Bhuvaneshwari temple is one of the 6 temples being fixed in the palace complex.
| Photo Credit:
M.A. SRIRAM.

.

.


more-in.

The Department of Archaeology Museums and Heritage has actually used up repair work on almost half a lots major temples in the Mysuru palace complex. The work is to be completed by the end of the current financial year and constitutes the second stage of a project being carried out at an expense of almost80 lakh.

Sources in the Archaeology Department informed The Hindu that the work would be finished by March 2020 and consists of resetting of stones, fixing the temple towers and improving the precincts.

The temples determined under the job and where works are under method consist of the Bhuvaneshwari, Shwetha Varahaswamy, Vinayaka, Trinayaneshwaraswamy, Sri Chandramouleshwara, and Sri Prasanna Krishnaswamy temples.

The significant chunk of the quantity has been allotted to Bhuvaneshwari temple, whose repair will cost17 lakh, while21 lakh has actually been allocated for Trinayaneshwaraswamy temple. Shwetha Varahaswamy temple has been sanctioned1125 lakh.

However, work on Sri Prasanna Krishnaswamy temple– one of the most significant temples in the palace complex– is yet to start, and sources state the tender works were being processed. This temple’s building was started by Krishnaraja Wadiyar III in 1825 A.D and it is considerable as it offers a sophisticated engraving of the achievements of the kings.

A few of the temples precede the existing palace by a couple of centuries.

While Bhuvaneshwari temple is reasonably new and was constructed in 1953 by the last Maharaja, Jayachamaraja Wadiyar, Trinayaneshwaraswamy temple existed in some form or the other even throughout the duration of Raja Waidyar, who rose the throne at Srirangapatana in 1610 A.D. The temple was then situated outside today fort complex. When the complex was extended, the temple was brought within the ambit of the fort by Kanthirava Narasaraja I (1615-1659) based on the Mysore Gazetteer. Shwetha Varahaswamy temple was developed by Diwan Purnaiah in 1809 using the messed up materials of a couple of Hoysala-period temples.

The department has actually finished restoring Pandurangaswamy temple and Khille Venkatramanaswamy temple within the palace complex under the project.

The Mysuru palace complex has almost a dozen temples, and though the palace receives more than 3.5 million tourists every year, there is little by method of promoting the temples. However for Trinayaneshwaraswamy temple, which draws thousands of enthusiasts on the event of Maha Shivaratri every year, the temples are hardly ever patronised by fans or travelers.